In a twist of events, the 37-year-old Free State farmer who shot and killed three of his alleged attackers on his farm outside Kroonstad on Thursday, 11 February, has now been detained after he was found to have possibly misled authorities regarding the alleged attack on him.
SELF-DEFENCE MOTIVE UNDER SCRUTINY
Free State police spokesperson, Motantsi Makhele, says preliminary investigations into the incident, reveal Pieter André Swart’s version of the events, is not what in fact occurred on his Boskoppie farm on Thursday morning.
Authorities have as a result detained the 37-year-old farmer, whilst the forensic team work collect further evidence to ascertain what in fact occurred.
FARMER TO FACE TRIPLE MURDER CHARGES DESPITE SELF-DEFENCE
Despite this revelation, Makhele says it is standard to press murder charges even if its in the name of self-defence.
“It is a standard rule of law to press murder charges where there is a suspicion that any person seriously broke the law in the name of self defence, and eventually outcome of further investigation especially post mortem and any other forensic investigation will guide if lesser or additional charges other than that of triple murder should be registered”
Free State Police Spokesperson, Motantsi Makhele
THREE MORE PEOPLE ARRESTED FOR WOULD-BE FARM ATTACK
Meanwhile, three more people in their late twenties have been arrested for their alleged involvement in the farm attack. They are two men and one women. The trio will appear before the Kroonstad Magistrate’s Court for conspiracy to commit crime, whilst the farmer will face triple murder charges in the same courthouse.
KROONSTAD FARMER STABBED
Previously the South African reported that Swart was accosted at 07:20 on Thursday morning by his alleged attackers. Who then stabbed him in the neck and head before he reached out for his firearm and began firing rounds at the four suspects, who were at that point attempting to flee the scene.
The incident is reminiscent of another Free State farm attack which happened in October 2020 in which a 31-year-old farmer was doused in petrol by his attackers in a botched farm attack outside Koffiefontein.
The victim – Andries Myburgh – was having lunch in his home at the Vandermerwesdam Farm when he was accosted by two male assailants who first hit him with an object on the head and then doused him in petrol while he fended off the second suspect who was armed with a knife.
KOFFIEFONTEIN FARMER DOUSED IN PETROL BY ATTACKERS IN 2020
It is alleged Myburgh managed to access his firearm in the fight and fired several shots in the suspects’ direction as they fled the scene on foot. It is then that he realised he was on fire and jumped into his swimming pool.
The fire is believed to have been started by the accused and is what drew the victim to go outside where he was accosted. Myburgh was treated by a local doctor and was back on his farm later that day.